Migratsiooni Konverents 29.11 - 01.12. 2018
On the Move: Migration and Diasporas The 2018 Annual Conference of the Centre of Excellence in Estonian Studies November 29 - December 1, 2018
Estonian Literary Museum, Tartu, Estonia
CALL FOR PAPERS
Centre of Excellence in Estonian Studies welcomes international scholars from different fields to reflect on the issues of migration and diasporas, incl. questions of exile. Topics addressed include but are not limited to
- the concept of the diaspora and modifications and changes in its use
- othering and xenophobia
- different waves of migration and remigration: causes, countries of destination, similarities and differences, migration journeys
- the current migration crisis
- migration as life-style
- social and cultural adoption in host countries
- identity-building processes, incl. hyphenated and transnational identities
- home-making practices in diaspora communities
- changes in the usages of languages of origin, bi- and multilingualism
- communication networks of migrants
- the contacts of diaspora communities with countries of origin
- sources and methods of migration and diaspora research, incl. life writing and oral history interviews
- representation of migration and diaspora in literature and visual arts; the poetics of exile.
Vytis Čiubrinskas, Professor of Social and Cultural Anthropology, Vytautas Magnus University and Southern Illinois University
Sari Pöyhönen, Professor of Applied Linguistics, University of Jyväskylä
There is no participation fee. Read more information on
Please submit your proposal (300 words) via online form https://www.folklore.ee/CEES/migrationdiaspora2018/.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: JUNE 15, 2018.
The conference is supported by the European Regional Development Fund, the research project IUT 22-2, Professorship of Estonian Literature, and the Nordplus Adult project “From past to present: Migration and Integration trough Life-stories’ network”.